Re: [pepysdiary] Samuel Pepys and the Ministry of Defence Police

  • Shawn Laasch
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2006
      The Gunpowder Plot of 1605 would be a much better example of a terrorist attack.  I agree that Medway, which completely shocked me when I first came across it (I was hardly an Anglophile and had little exposure to history before Pepys), was a military event that took advantage of a state of disarray.  Shocking and disheartening?  Absolutely.  Terrorism?  Hardly.

      If the French had set the Great Fire (forgive the spoiler), *that* might have been a terrorist action, I suppose.

      On 10/23/06, regertz@... <regertz@...> wrote:

      Oooh, hardly a terrorist attack, Terry.  A great military victory for the forces of the Dutch Republic aimed at the poorly defended, laid-up British fleet.  It being in the middle of a declared war, an honorable and legit military target if there ever was one

      --
      Visit http://laasch.net for design and development needs.