Samuel Pepys and the Ministry of Defence Police

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2006

      SP and law enforcement long after the Fields affair.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/crime/fighters/modpolice.shtml

      Ministry of Defence Police

      What is the MDP?
      Charged with the duty of policing the United Kingdom's defence community, from Culdrose in Cornwall to the Clyde in Scotland, the Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) is Britain's only true national police force. Made up of approximately 4,200 Officers, it serves the families who live and work in the defence community throughout the UK.
      [...]

      What's the history?
      The MDP can trace its origins back to 1686 when Samuel Pepys was Admiralty Secretary and set up policing for the Royal Dockyards. In 1834, this force was disbanded and the first dockyard police was formed. Three centuries later in 1971, the MDP recognisable today was formed by amalgamating the Admiralty, Army and Air Force department constabularies. Today the MDP combines a police role with a security function. While an MDP officer is policing the community of a married quarters estate, they also act as an armed guard that helps to deter a potential terrorist attack.
      -----

      Methinks SP would recognize a terrorist attack: there was one at Chatham on the Medway in June 1667
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_the_Medway

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2006
        ** High Priority **

        Many years ago I had as a clerk in my team a young woman married to a serving army corporal. They lived in married quarters. She told me that regularly, they had MDP officers stationed all over the married quarters when there were rumours of IRA activity (this was the 1970s). She said that her husband (and other husbands) were far more worried and suspicious about potentially randy MDP officers hanging around the married quarters with a lot of bored army wives than they were about IRA threats........ Our Sam could relate to this, I think.

        >>> terry.foreman@... 22/10/2006 8:58 am >>>

[...]

        Terry
      • regertz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2006
          Oooh, hardly a terrorist attack, Terry.  A great military victory for the forces of the Dutch Republic aimed at the poorly defended, laid-up British fleet.  It being in the middle of a declared war, an honorable and legit military target if there ever was one
        • Shawn Laasch
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2006
            The Gunpowder Plot of 1605 would be a much better example of a terrorist attack.  I agree that Medway, which completely shocked me when I first came across it (I was hardly an Anglophile and had little exposure to history before Pepys), was a military event that took advantage of a state of disarray.  Shocking and disheartening?  Absolutely.  Terrorism?  Hardly.

            If the French had set the Great Fire (forgive the spoiler), *that* might have been a terrorist action, I suppose.

            --
            Visit http://laasch.net for design and development needs.