Punchinello etc

  • humphreyschris69
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2014
      Can anyone help me track down a script of the puppet play, as close to Pepys first sighting as possible? I am writing my second novel on the period (first, 'Plague' out in July), predictably called 'Fire' and was thrilled to read that Sam (Slight SPOILER here) skived off work to attend the play on September 1st. I have a character who is a puppeteer and would love the script but the earliest I have is 1728 and is a satirical attack on Walpole.
      Failing script, any good descriptions of a performance - characters, plot etc - would be happily received.
      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2014
        This is the near end of what may be a long thread.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulcinella

        On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM, <humphreyschris69@...> wrote:

        Can anyone help me track down a script of the puppet play, as close to Pepys first sighting as possible? I am writing my second novel on the period (first, 'Plague' out in July), predictably called 'Fire' and was thrilled to read that Sam (Slight SPOILER here) skived off work to attend the play on September 1st. I have a character who is a puppeteer and would love the script but the earliest I have is 1728 and is a satirical attack on Walpole.
        Failing script, any good descriptions of a performance - characters, plot etc - would be happily received.
        Thanks!

      • Chris Humphreys