Re: FYI "Royal Society opens free online archive"

  • graham_t_1661
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
      What a great find.
      Here is a reference to the great Sam himself:
      http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/2g540x56el1vpkdd1e27/contributions/f/0/1/h/f01h7n80427kj058.pdf

      Graham

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
        Graham,

        Thanks for the link - and Michael for the discovery and link to the site.

        A search for 'Pepys' yields, i.a.

        A Discourse concerning the Most Seasonable Time of Felling of Timber; Written by the Advice of the Honorable Sam. Pepys Esq; Secretary of the Admiralty, and Presented to His Late Majesty. By Robert Plot LL.D. and R. S. Soci

        Sam. Pepys

        http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/(gee3ct30jkciyoeju5dtq345)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=searcharticlesresults,6,20;

        At 10:30 AM 9/15/2006 +0000, you wrote:
        What a great find.
        Here is a reference to the great Sam himself:
        http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/2g540x56el1vpkdd1e27/contributions/f/0/1/h/f01h7n80427kj058.pdf

        Graham

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, John Rowe <johnro@...> wrote:

        >  From "The Register" today:
        > "Royal Society opens free online archive"
        >
        > The article:
        > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/royalsoc_archive_open/
        >
        > The link to the "Royal Society Reader Gateway":
        > http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373
        >
        > quote:
        > "For the first time the Archive provides online access to all journal
        > content,
        > from Volume One, Issue One in March 1665 until the latest modern
        > research published
        > today ahead of print. And until December the archive is freely
        > available to anyone
        > on the internet to explore."
        >
        > but note:
        > "After December 2006 subscribers to our subscription packages (S, A
        > and B) will
        > enjoy privileged online access to the archives. Private researchers
        > will also be able
        > to access individual articles for a small fee per download."
        >
        > ps Sorry if this should have been posted in Social (but it is better
        > than sex, on-line
        > that is.) - john

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
          PEPYS COMMEMORATION SERVICE

          The Samuel Pepys Commemoration Service was held in the temporary church of
          St. Olave, Mark Lane, on Thursday, 31 May 1951 at 11:45 a.m.
          The Lord Mayor and Sheriffs attended in state. The Royal Society was
          represented by Professor E. N. da C. Andrade, F.R.S.
          The Address was given by R.C. Latham, Esq., on the subject 'Pepys the
          diarist.' The Lesson was read by the President of the Samuel Pepys Club,
          Viscount Hinchingbrooke, M.P.

          http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/(gee3ct30jkciyoeju5dtq345)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=searcharticlesresults,13,20;

          At 10:30 AM 9/15/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          >What a great find.
          >Here is a reference to the great Sam himself:
          >http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/2g540x56el1vpkdd1e27/contributions/f/0/1/h/f01h7n80427kj058.pdf
          >
          >Graham
          >
          >--- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, John Rowe <johnro@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > From "The Register" today:
          > > "Royal Society opens free online archive"
          > >
          > > The article:
          > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/royalsoc_archive_open/
          > >
          > > The link to the "Royal Society Reader Gateway":
          > > http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373
          > >
          > > quote:
          > > "For the first time the Archive provides online access to all journal
          > > content,
          > > from Volume One, Issue One in March 1665 until the latest modern
          > > research published
          > > today ahead of print. And until December the archive is freely
          > > available to anyone
          > > on the internet to explore."
          > >
          > > but note:
          > > "After December 2006 subscribers to our subscription packages (S, A
          > > and B) will
          > > enjoy privileged online access to the archives. Private researchers
          > > will also be able
          > > to access individual articles for a small fee per download."
          > >
          > > ps Sorry if this should have been posted in Social (but it is better
          > > than sex, on-line
          > > that is.) - john
          > >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul Chapin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2006

            Item #19 in the list generated by a search on “Pepys” is “A Letter of Dr. John Wallis to Samuel Pepys Esquire, Relating to Some Supposed Imperfections in an Organ”, which is an (early?) entry in the controversy over well-tempered vs. true-tempered (or mean-tempered) tuning of keyboard instruments, a controversy that Johann Sebastian Bach settled some 24 years later by writing “The Well-Tempered Clavier.”

            A fun site.

            Paul G. Chapin

            pchapin@...