FYI "Royal Society opens free online archive"

  • John Rowe
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2006
      From "The Register" today:
      "Royal Society opens free online archive"

      The article:
      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/royalsoc_archive_open/

      The link to the "Royal Society Reader Gateway":
      http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373

      quote:
      "For the first time the Archive provides online access to all journal
      content,
      from Volume One, Issue One in March 1665 until the latest modern
      research published
      today ahead of print. And until December the archive is freely
      available to anyone
      on the internet to explore."

      but note:
      "After December 2006 subscribers to our subscription packages (S, A
      and B) will
      enjoy privileged online access to the archives. Private researchers
      will also be able
      to access individual articles for a small fee per download."

      ps Sorry if this should have been posted in Social (but it is better
      than sex, on-line
      that is.) - john
    • graham_t_1661
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
        What a great find.
        Here is a reference to the great Sam himself:
        http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/2g540x56el1vpkdd1e27/contributions/f/0/1/h/f01h7n80427kj058.pdf

        Graham

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
          Graham,

          Thanks for the link - and Michael for the discovery and link to the site.

          A search for 'Pepys' yields, i.a.

          A Discourse concerning the Most Seasonable Time of Felling of Timber; Written by the Advice of the Honorable Sam. Pepys Esq; Secretary of the Admiralty, and Presented to His Late Majesty. By Robert Plot LL.D. and R. S. Soci

          Sam. Pepys

          http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/(gee3ct30jkciyoeju5dtq345)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=searcharticlesresults,6,20;

          At 10:30 AM 9/15/2006 +0000, you wrote:
          What a great find.
          Here is a reference to the great Sam himself:
          http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/2g540x56el1vpkdd1e27/contributions/f/0/1/h/f01h7n80427kj058.pdf

          Graham

          --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, John Rowe <johnro@...> wrote:

          >  From "The Register" today:
          > "Royal Society opens free online archive"
          >
          > The article:
          > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/royalsoc_archive_open/
          >
          > The link to the "Royal Society Reader Gateway":
          > http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373
          >
          > quote:
          > "For the first time the Archive provides online access to all journal
          > content,
          > from Volume One, Issue One in March 1665 until the latest modern
          > research published
          > today ahead of print. And until December the archive is freely
          > available to anyone
          > on the internet to explore."
          >
          > but note:
          > "After December 2006 subscribers to our subscription packages (S, A
          > and B) will
          > enjoy privileged online access to the archives. Private researchers
          > will also be able
          > to access individual articles for a small fee per download."
          >
          > ps Sorry if this should have been posted in Social (but it is better
          > than sex, on-line
          > that is.) - john

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
            PEPYS COMMEMORATION SERVICE

            The Samuel Pepys Commemoration Service was held in the temporary church of
            St. Olave, Mark Lane, on Thursday, 31 May 1951 at 11:45 a.m.
            The Lord Mayor and Sheriffs attended in state. The Royal Society was
            represented by Professor E. N. da C. Andrade, F.R.S.
            The Address was given by R.C. Latham, Esq., on the subject 'Pepys the
            diarist.' The Lesson was read by the President of the Samuel Pepys Club,
            Viscount Hinchingbrooke, M.P.

            http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/(gee3ct30jkciyoeju5dtq345)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=searcharticlesresults,13,20;

            At 10:30 AM 9/15/2006 +0000, you wrote:
            >What a great find.
            >Here is a reference to the great Sam himself:
            >http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/media/2g540x56el1vpkdd1e27/contributions/f/0/1/h/f01h7n80427kj058.pdf
            >
            >Graham
            >
            >--- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, John Rowe <johnro@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > From "The Register" today:
            > > "Royal Society opens free online archive"
            > >
            > > The article:
            > > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/royalsoc_archive_open/
            > >
            > > The link to the "Royal Society Reader Gateway":
            > > http://www.pubs.royalsoc.ac.uk/index.cfm?page=1373
            > >
            > > quote:
            > > "For the first time the Archive provides online access to all journal
            > > content,
            > > from Volume One, Issue One in March 1665 until the latest modern
            > > research published
            > > today ahead of print. And until December the archive is freely
            > > available to anyone
            > > on the internet to explore."
            > >
            > > but note:
            > > "After December 2006 subscribers to our subscription packages (S, A
            > > and B) will
            > > enjoy privileged online access to the archives. Private researchers
            > > will also be able
            > > to access individual articles for a small fee per download."
            > >
            > > ps Sorry if this should have been posted in Social (but it is better
            > > than sex, on-line
            > > that is.) - john
            > >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Paul Chapin
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16, 2006

              Item #19 in the list generated by a search on “Pepys” is “A Letter of Dr. John Wallis to Samuel Pepys Esquire, Relating to Some Supposed Imperfections in an Organ”, which is an (early?) entry in the controversy over well-tempered vs. true-tempered (or mean-tempered) tuning of keyboard instruments, a controversy that Johann Sebastian Bach settled some 24 years later by writing “The Well-Tempered Clavier.”

              A fun site.

              Paul G. Chapin

              pchapin@...