Town mouse walks down the Strand By Clive Aslet

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2013

      Previously a symbol of lots which was great about Britain, and London, the Strand is a shadow of its former self

      I stood in the Strand and beheld it and blessed God,' exclaimed John Evelyn, moved by the spectacle of the London crowd rejoicing at the Restoration. In the 19th century, the road seemed to represent, to Charlotte Brontë's heroine Lucy Snowe in Villette, ‘the heart of city life'. Disraeli considered the Strand to be ‘the finest street in Europe'.

      [more]] http://www.countrylife.co.uk/blogs/article/531084/Town-mouse-walks-down-the-Strand.html