RE: [pepysdiary] The Pursuit of Happiness [+ Pepys's diary publication news]

  • Dorothy Willis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013

      “Most Americans know that the "right to happiness" was mentioned in a big way in the Declaration of Independence. Very few Americans, including me, really understand what that phrase meant at that time.”

      Actually what is mentioned is “the pursuit of happiness.”  No happiness is guaranteed – just the freedom to pursue it.  I find most people nowadays think they have a right to guaranteed happiness without any need to pursue it at all!

      Dorothy Willis

      Redding, CA