Re: [pepysdiary] Help! Little bits of research!

  • Graham
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2013
      The only one I can answer off the top of my head is about rope: There is a street off Moorgate called Ropemakers, (only an alley in 1666) so apparently enough of them to have a street to themselves. However, I understand that the executioner(s) made the noose from the raw material.
      Regards,
      Graham.

      On 28/05/13 22:40, plaguey1 wrote:

      Hello All!
      I haven't been on for a while You may remember me as the man who is writing a novel based on the Great Plague.
      The good news is I did get a Peyps mention in. The bad is that I haven't managed to find out all sorts of niggling little points. Can anyone answer the following:
      1665 Prices for:
      - A pint of beer
      - a link (not to hire the boy, just the wand)
      - Wherry fares (e.g. Billingsgate to Essex Stairs)
      - Flowers
      - whores (sorry, and would probably depend on area. Sorry again - St Giles?)
      Also:
      any good links to the Trained Bands?
      who would have made nooses? was there a Company of Ropewrights?
      Did they still lock the city gates in 1665? if so, what time? Could you bribe your way in? Scramble over a ruin?

      That will do for now. Thanks for any help!

      Plaguey1