Re: [pepysdiary] Simon Lewty Absorption: Tachygraphy Drawings At Art First

  • IAN GREENWOOD
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013
      I wonder how you make a 'chance discovery' of 17th century shorthand? Did someone leave it on the tube? Was it placed accidentally in your in-tray? Were you surfing the web for a recipe for shortbread? And what would Pepys have made of this execrable artspeak:  "Released into the limitless spaces of the body and the sign, Simon Lewty’s calligraphies are both meditations and performances, surfaces of mystery, devotion and energy"?

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 23, 2013

        >I wonder how you make a 'chance discovery' of 17th century shorthand? Did someone leave it on the tube? Was it placed accidentally in your in-tray? Were you >surfing the web for a recipe for shortbread? And what would Pepys have made of this execrable artspeak:  "Released into the limitless spaces of the body >and the sign, Simon Lewty’s calligraphies are both meditations and performances, surfaces of mystery, devotion and energy"?

        I translate it as, he was goofing around looking at Google Images and thought “Hey, that’s kind of pretty!  Never saw that before.”  He stopped and read about it and realized it was something with an attractive design, unfamiliar to most people and, most important, not covered by copyright.  Bingo!  His next Great Artistic Production begins.

        I can’t imagine Pepys’ reaction, but I doubt it would be favorable.

        Dorothy

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
          Pepys was using the shorthand in a simple utilitarian way. He wouldn't, of course, have heard of it, but I am sure he would agree with my assessment that this is worthy of Private Eye's Pseuds' Corner

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 25, 2013
            The artist could also, of course, have simply used one of the modern forms of shorthand, which would have looked very similar, and been equally impenetrable to most viewers, but wouldn't have that esoteric cachet of a no-longer-used centuries-old system.