Re: [pepysdiary] Re: There's a Lot More Skeletons Where These Came From

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17 3:17 PM
      The BBC report I read concluded these were Black Death victims - not the 1665 outbreak. I thought most of those were burred in their churchyards. Pepys complains to his diary about the hummocky nature of St Olave's churchyard after the plague. The 1665 event  (only marginally less horrific than the 1613 event) (or was that 1615?) was not so catastrophic that there was not orderly burial - eventually - of the dead. The Black Death (and some argue that this was a different disease maybe anthrax perhaps in conjunction with plague) was more of a catastrophe leading to mass undiffentiated burials.

      On 18 March 2013 04:11, gillianbagwell <nellgwynn54@...> wrote:

      Exactly, Phil. I've read that many victims of the 1665 plague were buried there. Maybe it's just that this is the first time there's been much excavation there, so it's only now that actual skeletons are coming to light.

      --
      Kind regards,

      Susan Thomas

      Emphron Informatics
      Level 3 88 Jephson St
      TOOWONG
      QLD 4066

      Office: +61 7 3503 1765
      Mobile: 0411 094 688
      Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

      Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

    • gillianbagwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18 10:53 AM
        I realize that the skeletons they have found in Charterhouse date from the 14th century, not the 17th. What I was expressing surprise about was that, as Phil said, news stories seem to take the tone that the find was unexpected.

        I thought some dead from the 1665 plague had been buried there, but there were certainly plague pits in other areas from that plague, which killed a third of the population. There was nothing orderly about it.

        Peter Ackroyd's "London: the Biography," quotes Daniel Dafoe "A Journal of the Plague Year" (yes, I know it was written later, but it dealt with the 1665 plague). On "a piece of ground beyond Goswell Street, near Mount Hill ... abundance were buried promiscuously from the parishes of Aldgate, Clerkenwell, and even out of the city."

        Ackroyd says that the Mount Mills pit "was comparable to the burial pit in Houndsditch, about forty feet in length, sixteen feet broad and twenty feet deep, containing more than a thousand corpses." The pit was near the Pye Tavern and the drunken patrons "jeered anyone who mourned for the newly dead." One dead cart driver, "when he had any children in his dead cart, could cry 'Faggots, faggots, five for sixpence,' and take a child up by the leg."

        Ackroyd, writing in, or at least published in, 2000, said "The area of Mount Mills is a waste ground still." I sought that place out in 2005. Much of it was taken up by a parking lot and still had the appearance of "a waste ground." But there was some construction that appeared to be fairly new, so perhaps the spell of a haunted ground had finally been put behind it.