Re: [pepysdiary] New member with lots of Questions!

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
      Chris,

      There were the Sheriffs of the City of London
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriffs_of_the_City_of_London

      Pepys will report a parish constable on regular patrol (their number varied by the size of the parish)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable#United_Kingdom
      http://goo.gl/toULR

      More from the Encyclopedia
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/state/law/

      Terry Foreman

      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM, plaguey1 <c.c.humphreys@...> wrote:
      Hallo all!
      My name is Chris Humphreys. I write historical fiction as C.C. Humphreys - 12 novels so far. I am currently writing a pair of thrillers set against the Great Plague and Great Fire of London.
      Loving the detail of course in Samuel's diary. A godsend. But there are areas I am searching for and cannot find. I hope I don't come across too much as a gauche newbie but... can you help?
      Topic number one: Anyone know who would have been in charge of supervising crime in the city? I know parishes had their own structures and citizens were meant to patrol etc. But was there a man in government who supervised any/all of that?
      Hope you can help. So thrilled to be aboard.
      If you want to see my bonafides so to my website. Google me at: cchumphreys.com

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
          pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gillianbagwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi, Chris!

        Fancy meeting you here. I bet someone on this list will come up with an answer.

        Gillian