Re: New member with lots of Questions!

  • phe_tryagain
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
      Chris

      I was intrigued to read in the entry of 16 Dec 1660: "...I was surprised with the news of a plot against the King's person and my Lord Monk's; and that since last night there are about forty taken up on suspicion; and, amongst others, it was my lot to meet with Simon Beale, the Trumpeter, who took me and Tom Doling into the Guard in Scotland Yard, and showed us Major-General Overton, where I heard him deny that he is guilty of any such things". It just makes you wonder whether this 'guard' was somehow linked to a forerunner of the Met Police. Although when the Met established here, Scotland Yard was their rear 'public' entrance, the front one being in Whitehall.

      Peter Easton

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
        Chris,

        There were the Sheriffs of the City of London
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriffs_of_the_City_of_London

        Pepys will report a parish constable on regular patrol (their number varied by the size of the parish)
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable#United_Kingdom
        http://goo.gl/toULR

        More from the Encyclopedia
        http://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/state/law/

        Terry Foreman

        On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM, plaguey1 <c.c.humphreys@...> wrote:
        Hallo all!
        My name is Chris Humphreys. I write historical fiction as C.C. Humphreys - 12 novels so far. I am currently writing a pair of thrillers set against the Great Plague and Great Fire of London.
        Loving the detail of course in Samuel's diary. A godsend. But there are areas I am searching for and cannot find. I hope I don't come across too much as a gauche newbie but... can you help?
        Topic number one: Anyone know who would have been in charge of supervising crime in the city? I know parishes had their own structures and citizens were meant to patrol etc. But was there a man in government who supervised any/all of that?
        Hope you can help. So thrilled to be aboard.
        If you want to see my bonafides so to my website. Google me at: cchumphreys.com

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
            pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • gillianbagwell
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
          Hi, Chris!

          Fancy meeting you here. I bet someone on this list will come up with an answer.

          Gillian