New member with lots of Questions!

  • plaguey1
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
      Hallo all!
      My name is Chris Humphreys. I write historical fiction as C.C. Humphreys - 12 novels so far. I am currently writing a pair of thrillers set against the Great Plague and Great Fire of London.
      Loving the detail of course in Samuel's diary. A godsend. But there are areas I am searching for and cannot find. I hope I don't come across too much as a gauche newbie but... can you help?
      Topic number one: Anyone know who would have been in charge of supervising crime in the city? I know parishes had their own structures and citizens were meant to patrol etc. But was there a man in government who supervised any/all of that?
      Hope you can help. So thrilled to be aboard.
      If you want to see my bonafides so to my website. Google me at: cchumphreys.com
    • phe_tryagain
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
        Chris

        I was intrigued to read in the entry of 16 Dec 1660: "...I was surprised with the news of a plot against the King's person and my Lord Monk's; and that since last night there are about forty taken up on suspicion; and, amongst others, it was my lot to meet with Simon Beale, the Trumpeter, who took me and Tom Doling into the Guard in Scotland Yard, and showed us Major-General Overton, where I heard him deny that he is guilty of any such things". It just makes you wonder whether this 'guard' was somehow linked to a forerunner of the Met Police. Although when the Met established here, Scotland Yard was their rear 'public' entrance, the front one being in Whitehall.

        Peter Easton

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
          Chris,

          There were the Sheriffs of the City of London
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheriffs_of_the_City_of_London

          Pepys will report a parish constable on regular patrol (their number varied by the size of the parish)
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constable#United_Kingdom
          http://goo.gl/toULR

          More from the Encyclopedia
          http://www.pepysdiary.com/encyclopedia/state/law/

          Terry Foreman

          On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM, plaguey1 <c.c.humphreys@...> wrote:
          Hallo all!
          My name is Chris Humphreys. I write historical fiction as C.C. Humphreys - 12 novels so far. I am currently writing a pair of thrillers set against the Great Plague and Great Fire of London.
          Loving the detail of course in Samuel's diary. A godsend. But there are areas I am searching for and cannot find. I hope I don't come across too much as a gauche newbie but... can you help?
          Topic number one: Anyone know who would have been in charge of supervising crime in the city? I know parishes had their own structures and citizens were meant to patrol etc. But was there a man in government who supervised any/all of that?
          Hope you can help. So thrilled to be aboard.
          If you want to see my bonafides so to my website. Google me at: cchumphreys.com

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
              pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • gillianbagwell
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2013
            Hi, Chris!

            Fancy meeting you here. I bet someone on this list will come up with an answer.

            Gillian