Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: Anti-spam measures

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
      Yes, having to vet all registrations is an option, but I'm treating it as a last resort - both because it's a bit annoying for people to have to wait before they can post annotations, but also because I don't want to have to approve/reject people every day. Fingers crossed...

      I run a forum that's had a lot of problems with spam registrations, and which occasionally resulted in sudden floods of spam posts. I've found that having a simple question/answer was more effective than a captcha, which surprised me. I guess it's just not worth the spammers' time to research answers. One time they did work the answer out, and lots of accounts were created, but since making the question a bit tougher, no more... (touch wood).

    • ewwright@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
        I too run a couple of fora and have had spammer trouble over the
        years. Its the spambots that are the trouble. The real live spammers will always get through, but the spambot gets tripped up with a simple
        question as Phil says, and you can cut most of it out with one.