Site News: Anti-spam measures

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013

      Anti-spam measures

      It only took seven hours after opening up registrations for our first spammer to sign up. I suppose one must admire their speed. So far that account is the only of several spammers that has posted an annotation (since deleted). I’ve disabled those accounts but that doesn’t stop more spammers registering.

      So, as well as the “captcha” on the registration form <http://www.pepysdiary.com/account/register/> (the squiggly words you have to read and type in), I’ve now added a question that must be answered correctly before the form can be successfully submitted.

      I’ve started it off with an easy question (the same as we had on the old site for posting annotations) but I’ll change it if the spammers are too wiley. We’ll see how this goes. It’s a shame we have to make this more complicated than it should be.

    • Jenny Doughty
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013

        I am a moderator on the QI talk forum ( http://www.qi.com/talk ) and we constantly have this issue with spammer registration. We don't have captcha (I am not the IT bod or we probably would…) but there are a few steps we take that have reduced the volume, and I simply check new registrations once or twice a day. You can often tell spammers  simply by username and email address and I ban them straight away and delete posts if necessary.

        Jenny

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
          Yes, having to vet all registrations is an option, but I'm treating it as a last resort - both because it's a bit annoying for people to have to wait before they can post annotations, but also because I don't want to have to approve/reject people every day. Fingers crossed...

          I run a forum that's had a lot of problems with spam registrations, and which occasionally resulted in sudden floods of spam posts. I've found that having a simple question/answer was more effective than a captcha, which surprised me. I guess it's just not worth the spammers' time to research answers. One time they did work the answer out, and lots of accounts were created, but since making the question a bit tougher, no more... (touch wood).

        • ewwright@btinternet.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
            I too run a couple of fora and have had spammer trouble over the
            years. Its the spambots that are the trouble. The real live spammers will always get through, but the spambot gets tripped up with a simple
            question as Phil says, and you can cut most of it out with one.