Toshers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2013
      Fascinating article about making a living in the London sewers.  Reminded me of Sam's posts mentioning collectors of "night soil":
      http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/history/2012/06/quite-likely-the-worst-job-ever/

      That the sewers of mid-19th-century London were foul is beyond question; it was widely agreed, Michelle Allen says, that the tunnels were “volcanoes of filth; gorged veins of putridity; ready to explode at any moment in a whirlwind of foul gas, and poison all those whom they failed to smother.” Yet this, the toshers themselves insisted, did not mean that working conditions under London were entirely intolerable.