RE: [pepysdiary] Re: The Mitre tavern

  • Guy Consterdine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013

      Ah yes, the Olde Mitre in Ely Court. I knew it when I worked at The Times and Sunday Times in Grays Inn Road and often walked down to Fleet Street. If it’s been a pub all its existence since 1546, Sam Pepys must have known it and probably drunk in it. I wonder if Sam mentions this Mitre in his diary?

      Guy

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
        Interestingly, Pepys 'attended' the Mitre on 30 separate occasions during his 10 year stint of diary writing (I won't give the details in case it becomes a 'Spoiler'), however, he went to at least 4 establishments called the Mitre, viz.,
        One in Fleet street, another in Wood street, yet another in Cheapside finishing up with the fourth in Fenchurch street, where we know the innkeeper was a Mr. Daniel Rawlinson. The other entries do not say which Mitre he visited, so there may yet be others to discover.

        I did a brief comparison between Evelyn and Pepys on 'visits to the Mitre' and found that Evelyn only mentions 'Mitre' twice in the whole of the 85 year span of his diary ... and those were in reference to the hat - not the inn. I suppose that says something about their two differing life-styles.

        In friendship,
        Eric.

        The Evelyn Diary web pages.
        email: evelyndiary@...