The Mitre tavern

  • Guy Consterdine
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013

      It is notable how often Samuel was drinking in taverns. In today’s extract for 21 January he goes into The Mitre in Fleet Street. Although the tavern has disappeared there is a blue plaque where it stood, almost opposite the entrance to Fetter Lane and St Dunstan’s church. The plaque, placed by the City of London, is fixed to the stone-clad wall of a bank and simply says “Site of The Mitre Tavern”.

      Guy

    • driscoll.strauss@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
        Here is the plaque information.

        http://openplaques.org/plaques/4702

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Consterdine" wrote:

        > It is notable how often Samuel was drinking in taverns. In today's extract
        > for 21 January he goes into The Mitre in Fleet Street. Although the tavern
        > has disappeared there is a blue plaque where it stood, almost opposite the
        > entrance to Fetter Lane and St Dunstan's church. The plaque, placed by the
        > City of London, is fixed to the stone-clad wall of a bank and simply says
        > "Site of The Mitre Tavern".
        >
        > Guy

      • Guy Consterdine
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013

          That’s an interesting website, Open Plaques (openplaques.org), which I didn’t know about; thanks for pointing it out. When I searched for Samuel Pepys I found 11 plaques, including the one I mentioned a few days ago in Salisbury Court. A search for John Evelyn found 3 plaques (or two, in effect).

          Guy

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
            It is good site run by good people and supported by even better ones who supply the information and photos.

            The Mitre is near the bottom of Fetter Lane/New Fetter Lane. There is another Mitre Tavern near the top of New Fetter Lane off Hatton Garden. This one is still open - I used to drink there and eat the very good toasted sandwiches they did when I was an editor at Routledge whose offices were on New Fetter Lane.

            Ye Olde Mitre - Home

            Adrian

            ps My company Aimer, who did the Pepys Diary app, is doing a London Plaques app that will incorporate Open Plaques data so plaques are on my mindÂ…

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013
              http://yeoldemitreholburn.co.uk

              --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "driscoll.strauss@..." wrote:

              > It is good site run by good people and supported by even better ones who supply the information and photos.
              >
              > The Mitre is near the bottom of Fetter Lane/New Fetter Lane. There is another Mitre Tavern near the top of New Fetter Lane off Hatton Garden. This one is still open - I used to drink there and eat the very good toasted sandwiches they did when I was an editor at Routledge whose offices were on New Fetter Lane.
              >
              > Ye Olde Mitre - Home
              >

              > Adrian
              >
              > ps My company Aimer, who did the Pepys Diary app, is doing a London Plaques app that will incorporate Open Plaques data so plaques are on my mindÂ…
              >

              > --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Consterdine" wrote:
              > >
              > > That's an interesting website, Open Plaques (openplaques.org), which I
              > > didn't know about; thanks for pointing it out. When I searched for Samuel
              > > Pepys I found 11 plaques, including the one I mentioned a few days ago in
              > > Salisbury Court. A search for John Evelyn found 3 plaques (or two, in
              > > effect).
              > >
              > > Guy

            • Guy Consterdine
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 22, 2013

                Ah yes, the Olde Mitre in Ely Court. I knew it when I worked at The Times and Sunday Times in Grays Inn Road and often walked down to Fleet Street. If it’s been a pub all its existence since 1546, Sam Pepys must have known it and probably drunk in it. I wonder if Sam mentions this Mitre in his diary?

                Guy

                > It is good site run by good people and supported by even better ones who supply the information and photos.
                >
                > The Mitre is near the bottom of Fetter Lane/New Fetter Lane. There is another Mitre Tavern near the top of New Fetter Lane off Hatton Garden. This one is still open - I used to drink there and eat the very good toasted sandwiches they did when I was an editor at Routledge whose offices were on New Fetter Lane.
                >
                > Ye Olde Mitre - Home
                >

                > Adrian
                >
                > ps My company Aimer, who did the Pepys Diary app, is doing a London Plaques app that will incorporate Open Plaques data so plaques are on my mind…
                >

                > --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "Guy Consterdine" wrote:
                > >
                > > That's an interesting website, Open Plaques (openplaques.org), which I
                > > didn't know about; thanks for pointing it out. When I searched for Samuel
                > > Pepys I found 11 plaques, including the one I mentioned a few days ago in
                > > Salisbury Court. A search for John Evelyn found 3 plaques (or two, in
                > > effect).
                > >
                > > Guy

              • EvelynDiary
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 23, 2013
                  Interestingly, Pepys 'attended' the Mitre on 30 separate occasions during his 10 year stint of diary writing (I won't give the details in case it becomes a 'Spoiler'), however, he went to at least 4 establishments called the Mitre, viz.,
                  One in Fleet street, another in Wood street, yet another in Cheapside finishing up with the fourth in Fenchurch street, where we know the innkeeper was a Mr. Daniel Rawlinson. The other entries do not say which Mitre he visited, so there may yet be others to discover.

                  I did a brief comparison between Evelyn and Pepys on 'visits to the Mitre' and found that Evelyn only mentions 'Mitre' twice in the whole of the 85 year span of his diary ... and those were in reference to the hat - not the inn. I suppose that says something about their two differing life-styles.

                  In friendship,
                  Eric.

                  The Evelyn Diary web pages.
                  email: evelyndiary@...