Re: Haut Brion at the Royal Oak

  • gillianbagwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
      I wrote that post in haste and awkwardly. It was Charles II who was on the run from Cromwell, not Pepys!

      The Royal Oak tavern was likely the first tavern by that name, and one of the earliest namesakes of the oak in which Charles hid.

      Charles did tell Pepys the story in May 1660 aboard the Royal Charles when he was returning to England to take the throne. In the autumn of 1680, Charles told Pepys the story again in more detail, in two-three hour sessions at Newmarket. Pepys took the story down in his famous shorthand. He gathered the other published accounts of Charles's six-week odyssey trying to get out of England, which came to be known as the Royal Miracle because he narrowly escaped capture so many times. It's thanks to Pepys that we have a very good record of what was very formative episode for Charles and one of the most astonishing events in British history.