Re: [pepysdiary] Haut Brion at the Royal Oak

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
      Gillian,

      There's an extra 'd' on http://historicaltapestry.blogspot.com/2011/11/royal-oak-by-gillian-bagwell.html

      "Gillian Bagwell’s second novel, The September Queen, the first fictional accounting of the story of Jane Lane, and ordinary English girl who helped Charles II escape after the Battle of Worcester, was released on November 1. "
      Terry

      On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM, gillianbagwell <nellgwynn54@...> wrote:
      Pepys and his friends drank at the Royal Oak, one of the early namesakes and likely the first tavern of the oak in which he spent a day while on the run from Cromwell's men after the Battle of Worcester on September 3, 1651. I wrote a little article about it: http://historicaltapestry.blogspot.com/2011/11/royal-oak-by-gillian-bagwell.html

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
          pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • gillianbagwell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
        I wrote that post in haste and awkwardly. It was Charles II who was on the run from Cromwell, not Pepys!

        The Royal Oak tavern was likely the first tavern by that name, and one of the earliest namesakes of the oak in which Charles hid.

        Charles did tell Pepys the story in May 1660 aboard the Royal Charles when he was returning to England to take the throne. In the autumn of 1680, Charles told Pepys the story again in more detail, in two-three hour sessions at Newmarket. Pepys took the story down in his famous shorthand. He gathered the other published accounts of Charles's six-week odyssey trying to get out of England, which came to be known as the Royal Miracle because he narrowly escaped capture so many times. It's thanks to Pepys that we have a very good record of what was very formative episode for Charles and one of the most astonishing events in British history.