"According to Cocker"

  • beat_town
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2013
      Sam (and his slide rule) gets a mention this week as part of an explanation of the origins of the phrase above, in Michael Quinion's always-excellent e-newsletter, World Wide Words. Online version can be found here:

      http://www.worldwidewords.org/nl/nyzh.htm
    • Guy Consterdine
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013

        That was interesting to read; thanks for alerting us to it. I didn’t know of the existence of the World Wide Words newsletter, but found it all interesting, including the reference to the word chiz which I haven’t used since school days.

        Guy

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
          Sure thing, Guy.  It's a fantastic newsletter -- well-written and researched.  I always learn something new from it!