Salisbury Court

  • Guy Consterdine
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2013

      The mention of Salisbury Court in yesterday’s emailed Pepys diary entry for 16 January 1660 reminded me that I walked through that little street on Tuesday this week on my way back from a meeting.

      How it’s changed since Samuel’s day! Today, off Fleet Street, it is a narrow canyon of tall buildings. The buildings are varied – one in Georgian brick, its neighbour in Victorian red brick dated 1878, and facing these a lengthy 20th century building in white Portland stone. The short street ends beside a tall 1990s Post-Modern block of colourfully striped stone in Salisbury Square.

      On the Portland stone building on the eastern side of Salisbury Court is a blue plaque placed by the City of London, which reads “In a house on this site Samuel Pepys, Diarist, was born. 1632-1703”. I expect Samuel would have been tickled by that.

      Guy

      guy@...