Re: Rebecca Tyrrel: Illiterate all her life, a Smythson's diary would have meant nothing to Nell Gwyn

  • gillianbagwell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
      Hi, friends of Sam,
      I'm so pleased to be able to start the diary from the first day - I came in mid-way the last time.

      Sam is a recurring character in my novel about Nell Gwynn, "The Darlingn Strumpet," and the book takes Nell through her rise from the streets to the heady world of the theatre, selling oranges and then becoming a beloved comic actress.

      I was tickled when I learned a few years ago that Samantha Cameron was descended from Nell.

      Also, Diana, the Princess of Wales, was descended from Charles II. Assuming William eventually succeeds to the throne, he will be the first descendant of Charles II to become king! About time!

      Gillian Bagwell
      www.gillianbagwell.com
      @gillianbagwell
    • IAN GREENWOOD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
        Now then, Rebecca Tyrrel of the Independent, just because you are illiterate, it does not follow that a book means nothing to you. (Perhaps she was implying that a "whore" - I hope that was her word and not yours, Terry - is unlikely to have appreciated an artefact such as a book. That, too, is tendentious.)
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
          ian,

          The link will take you to what Rebecca Tyrrel's prose.

          Terry

          On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM, IAN GREENWOOD <iangreenwood2@...> wrote:

          Now then, Rebecca Tyrrel of the Independent, just because you are illiterate, it does not follow that a book means nothing to you. (Perhaps she was implying that a "whore" - I hope that was her word and not yours, Terry - is unlikely to have appreciated an artefact such as a book. That, too, is tendentious.)

        • Jenny Doughty
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6, 2013
            Sarah Ferguson and Camilla Parker-Bowles are also both descended from Charles II via Charles Lennox, son of Charles II and Louise de Kerouaille.

            Jenny