Charlotte Barbour-Condini, London Octave St Martin in the Fields

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013

      To ‘record’ derives from the Latin recordari, ‘to remember’, and that’s what medieval English minstrels did with the instrument to which they gave this name.

      In Europe, recorders were known as ‘flutes’, and when Baroque music came to England, so did that nomenclature for the instrument, which only reverted to ‘recorder’ in the 19th century. The warm and breathy sound of this simple instrument has great charm when played in a consort, as Samuel Pepys noted excitedly after a concert: the sweet wind-music ‘did wrap up my soul so that it made me really sick, just as I have formerly been when in love with my wife’.

      [more]  http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/classical/reviews/charlotte-barbourcondini-london-octavest-martin-in-the-fields-8438141.html