Site News: Welcome to the new (unfinished) site

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
      There is a new site... I'm not sure when the domain name will change and everyone will see it - I can't yet, but hopefully in the next few hours this will begin to make sense... until then the link below won't work and you'll see the old site if you visit http://www.pepysdiary.com/

      Phew, a busy Christmas!

      Phil

      Welcome to the new (unfinished) site
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/news/2012/12/31/2/

      Welcome to the new website, just in time for 1st January. The diary entries will be appearing each day on the front page from 11pm (London time) on 1st January 2013, starting with 1st January 1660. The RSS feed and daily emails should also start working again.

      However, the regulars among you will soon notice there are many things currently missing from the site. When thinking about starting running the diary again, I realised I couldn’t face wrestling with the old site for several more years: it had outgrown its original software and it was difficult to add new features.

      So I decided to rewrite the website. I’ve had a busy Christmas and New Year “holiday” and have got it this far — nearly everything is readable and usable — but there’s still plenty to do. Here are the main things missing that will return:

      • Posting annotations/comments. This will return soon (within a week or two) but unfortunately I couldn’t get it ready in time for 1st January. Hold on to your thoughts!
      • Search. This may take a bit longer to get working again.
      • Recent Activity Page. This will return when annotations can be posted again.
      • Maps. For now, Encyclopedia Topics about places have a link to their location on Google Maps.
      • Wikipedia content. Encyclopedia Topics that exist on Wikipedia link to those pages for now, rather than have the text on this site.
      • Graphs of references. All the references between Encyclopedia Topics and Diary Entries are shown, but there’s currently no graphs of them.
      • Various text pages. Some pages, like the text of the 1893 introduction, and more “About” pages haven’t put back in yet.
      • Pop-up hover text on links. Those little panels that appeared over links in Diary Entries aren’t there yet, but they should return shortly.
      • Family Tree. This should be back very soon.
      • Story So Far. These pages do exist but are currently missing their introductory page and a link to them.

      There are also various little tweaks and fixes that need doing. And the design of the new site is currently quite bare and characterless, so I can hopefully improve that a little too.

      Most URLs have changed but most old links should redirect to the new pages, and I’ve hopefully fixed all the links in existing Diary Entries, Annotations, Encyclopedia Topics, etc.

      So, plenty still to do, but the basics are all ready to go. This should provide us with a better experience over coming years. Ready to go?

    • Charles Reiss

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2012
            Indeed -- thank you, Phil!  I just finished the Dickens biography by Claire Tomalin, which of course reminded me of her excellent bio of Our Sam, and this'll be a chance to refresh a few brain cells.  Happy New Year, all!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
                  Do you discuss the Pepys diary on this list?

                  Sincerely,

                  Steven

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
                    Nothing else Steven!

                    • driscoll.strauss@btinternet.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
                        Site is working ok for me and I will test the URLs that seem to be perfectly mapped are working for the sharing from the app...

                        best and HNY

                        Adrian

                        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > >> Pop-up hover text on links. Those little panels that appeared over links in Diary Entries aren't there yet, but they should return shortly.
                        > >> Family Tree. This should be back very soon.
                        > >> Story So Far. These pages do exist but are currently missing their introductory page and a link to them.
                        > >> There are also various little tweaks and fixes that need doing. And the design of the new site is currently quite bare and characterless, so I can hopefully improve that a little too.
                        > >>
                        > >> Most URLs have changed but most old links should redirect to the new pages, and I've hopefully fixed all the links in existing Diary Entries, Annotations, Encyclopedia Topics, etc.
                        > >>
                        > >> So, plenty still to do, but the basics are all ready to go. This should provide us with a better experience over coming years. Ready to go?

                      • Jenny Doughty
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 1, 2013
                          Great news Phil! Thanks so much for all your hard work on this.

                          Jenny