[pepysdiary] That Other Diary.

  • Eric Mills
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2012
      Hello Everybody,

      Hope you all had a splendid Christmas ... back to work (Joke).

      Whilst beavering away between pulling crackers and opening presents I came across, in Evelyn's Diary, this quatrain in 'elderly French' which I, sort of, understand but would like some help providing a translation from the French.

      O gentille âme, estant taut estimée,
      Qui te pourra loüer gu'en se taisant ?
      Car la parole est toujours reprimée
      Quand le suj'et surmonte le disant.

      The address of the page is:
      way-mark.co.uk/bygonedays/evelyn/diary/164/16441004.htm
      and it is in the Notes, item 2.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      A Happy New Year to you all.

      In friendship,