Google Maps in the Encyclopedia

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
      Since the site started, most of the places listed in the Encyclopedia
      have had links to their location on
      [Streetmap](http://www.streetmap.co.uk/). I've now replaced these
      with a map from [Google Maps](http://maps.google.com/) which shows
      the location in the page, which is more convenient.

      Here are two examples: [The Tower of
      London](http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/167.php) and
      [Mumbai](http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/6740.php). The maps work OK on
      my Mac, but I did have problems displaying the pages in Internet
      Explorer on Windows -- please try and let me know, as hopefully it's
      just my PC...

      Also let me know if you find anything else invconvenient about it, or
      that could be better. There are many improvements I could make over
      time now this is working.

      I should just thank Jonathan Stott for his
      [PHPCoord](http://www.jstott.me.uk/phpcoord/) code which helped me
      translate the Streetmap OS Grid coordinates into latitude and
      longitude, and the [Mapstraction](http://www.mapstraction.com/) folks
      whose Javascript code made the mapping easier to implement.

      And I haven't forgotten about my plan to allow people to adopt
      Encyclopedia pages and write summaries for them -- the mapping code
      was rather messy in there and I had to tidy it up before letting
      anyone loose!

      tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
      aim: philgyford
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
        Phil,

        Alas you have found a problem I experience too with IE.

        I annotated Mumbai before the map was there, but now it's out of bounds.
        I've looked at the Tower before .but now....

        Perhaps Firefox does a better job.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
          ** Low Priority **

          Yes, it does! See my annotation on the site.
          SCT

          >>> terry.foreman@... 10/09/2006 8:34 am >>>

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 9, 2006
            Both links work fine for me w/Firefox. I get an error in IE where it loads the map, but errors out
            in trying to show the annotations. Interesting, since IE is usually the more "forgiving"
            browser...

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
              At 16:34 -0700 2006-09-09, Todd Bernhardt wrote:
              >Both links work fine for me w/Firefox. I get an error in IE where it
              >loads the map, but errors out
              >in trying to show the annotations.

              Thanks folks - there does seem to be a problem with Windows Internet
              Explorer, which I'm looking into fixing... more updates as I have
              them!

              >Interesting, since IE is usually the more "forgiving"
              >browser...

              You've obviously had a very different experience with it to me :)

              tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
              aim: philgyford
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                At 09:16 +0100 2006-09-11, Phil Gyford wrote:
                >At 16:34 -0700 2006-09-09, Todd Bernhardt wrote:
                >>Both links work fine for me w/Firefox. I get an error in IE where it
                >>loads the map, but errors out
                >>in trying to show the annotations.
                >
                >Thanks folks - there does seem to be a problem with Windows Internet
                >Explorer, which I'm looking into fixing... more updates as I have
                >them!

                OK, I think it's working now... http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/167.php

                How's that?

                tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
                aim: philgyford
              • Laura Sullivan
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Aha, it works! Thank you, Phil.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                    Yep, works for me too! Splendid work, Mr. Gyford.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 11, 2006
                      Works for me too with IE. And I'm told IE isn't ISO-compliant.

                      Great work, Phil.

                      Terry