Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: Annotations switched off

  • Bibliophile
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
      Is anyone here currently reading Pepys Diary?

      Steven W. Winegardner
      Washington, DC 20009

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
        Hello Everybody,

        Yes, the Evelyn Diary is on-line and (more or less) well. I had a few problems - my original host was reported 'missing in action' and sank without trace - If you are reading this Hugh, My grateful thanks for your past help.

        I moved it (laboriously) to a new and freebie site but discovered a couple of minute (but to me significant) problems to do with hackability and the like ... so, I approached my wife and she kindly hosted  the whole shebang (more labour) but with the proviso that I would not do any updating myself but hand it to her and she do a monthly (or so) update.

        The situation now is that the Evelyn Diary (Plus date-aware links to Pepys, Plus search engine) can be found at:
        http://way-mark.co.uk/bygonedays/evelyn/index.html well, you don't actually need that last bit (/index.html).

        Healthwise - Yes ... as well as can be expected (Year 5 of Alzheimer's and the curtains are beginning to close fairly fast - hence my wife's not wishing me to interfere with her web-site !)

        I've completed all the original pages and footnotes and then started (ever hopeful) on a re-run of the footnotes adding new and more detailed ones and ensuring that the original notes and 'hovertext' comments were findable by the search engine (Danged thing wouldn't recognise javascript comments). The latest set of detailed footnotes go upto 10th October, 1644 - but now I'm down to a crawling speed of about one additional footnoted page per three or four days ... so, I think we can probably say that where we are at is where we'll stay ... unless someone is prepared to help out a short-sighted forgetful old fart.

        Still 2,660+ pages is not too bad.

        In friendship,
        Eric.
        Direct Diary eMail: evelyndiary@...
        (I can't seem to remember how to make that clickable)

        PS: Any one finding a typo or error of any kind - please, email me and I will, at the speed of Sebastian Snail, fix it. (Also anyone who is latin-capable and willing to translate any of that atrocious language, please, step up to the grid.)

        To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
        From: langwidge@...
        Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:18:25 +0000
        Subject: [pepysdiary] Evelyn diary?

        Has the John Evelyn's diary been started?  Is it online?

        Christine in Baltimore, MD

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
          Hi Eric,

          I just noticed that the menu navigation isn't working for me (on a Mac, on the latest version of Google Chrome).

          It seems there's an error in the Javascript in the page, specifically this line:

          var enl_buttonurl[0] = 'prev';

          I'd suggest removing the { and } around all those lines, and removing the 'var ' from the start of each line... that might fix things.

          Phil

          To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
          From: langwidge@...
          Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:18:25 +0000

          Has the John Evelyn's diary been started?  Is it online?

          Christine in Baltimore, MD

        • if455kc
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
            --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Eric Mills <ericmills1936@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everybody,
            >
            > Yes, the Evelyn Diary is on-line and (more or less) well. I had a few problems - my original host was reported 'missing in action' and sank without trace - If you are reading this Hugh, My grateful thanks for your past help.
            >
            > I moved it (laboriously) to a new and freebie site but discovered a couple of minute (but to me significant) problems to do with hackability and the like ... so, I approached my wife and she kindly hosted the whole shebang (more labour) but with the proviso that I would not do any updating myself but hand it to her and she do a monthly (or so) update.
            >
            > The situation now is that the Evelyn Diary (Plus date-aware links to Pepys, Plus search engine) can be found at:
            > http://way-mark.co.uk/bygonedays/evelyn/index.html well, you don't actually need that last bit (/index.html).
            >
            > Healthwise - Yes ... as well as can be expected (Year 5 of Alzheimer's and the curtains are beginning to close fairly fast - hence my wife's not wishing me to interfere with her web-site !)
            >
            > I've completed all the original pages and footnotes and then started (ever hopeful) on a re-run of the footnotes adding new and more detailed ones and ensuring that the original notes and 'hovertext' comments were findable by the search engine (Danged thing wouldn't recognise javascript comments). The latest set of detailed footnotes go upto 10th October, 1644 - but now I'm down to a crawling speed of about one additional footnoted page per three or four days ... so, I think we can probably say that where we are at is where we'll stay ... unless someone is prepared to help out a short-sighted forgetful old fart.
            >
            > Still 2,660+ pages is not too bad.
            >
            > In friendship,
            > Eric.
            > Direct Diary eMail: evelyndiary@...
            > (I can't seem to remember how to make that clickable)
            >
            > PS: Any one finding a typo or error of any kind - please, email me and I will, at the speed of Sebastian Snail, fix it. (Also anyone who is latin-capable and willing to translate any of that atrocious language, please, step up to the grid.)
            >

            > To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
            > From: langwidge@...
            > Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:18:25 +0000
            > Subject: [pepysdiary] Evelyn diary?

            > Has the John Evelyn's diary been started? Is it online?
            >
            > Christine in Baltimore, MD

            "(...any of that atrocious language, please, step up to the grid.)"

            Tsk.

            Latin was very much a part of Pepys' world so perhaps this is not an unacceptable digression.

            Latin, especially as we encounter it in later material, may have its shortcomings but "atrocious" is an adjective more properly applied to this language of English, surly. The "machinery" of Latin is a Swiss watch compared to the dog's breakfast that is English's grammar, orthography and pronunciation.

            Will anyone agree?

            Hic senex scholaticus non. Vivat omnes et vale!
          • if455kc
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
> [...]
              >

              > To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
              > From: langwidge@...
              > Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:18:25 +0000
              > Subject: [pepysdiary] Evelyn diary?

              > Has the John Evelyn's diary been started? Is it online?
              >
              > Christine in Baltimore, MD

              "(...any of that atrocious language, please, step up to the grid.)"

              Tsk.

              Latin was very much a part of Pepys' world so perhaps this is not an unacceptable digression.

              Latin, especially as we encounter it in later material, may have its shortcomings but "atrocious" is an adjective more properly applied to this language of English, surly. The "machinery" of Latin is a Swiss watch compared to the dog's breakfast that is English's grammar, orthography and pronunciation.

              Will anyone agree?

              Hic senex scholaticus non. Vivat omnes et vale!

              The signature was not automatically added to the post above regarding the merits of Latin and English. It is from John Nightingale in New Westminster, Canada; very much a fan of Phil's grand endeavour.
            • if455kc
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
> [...]
                >
                > Christine in Baltimore, MD

                "(...any of that atrocious language, please, step up to the grid.)"

                Tsk.

                Latin was very much a part of Pepys' world so perhaps this is not an unacceptable digression.

                Latin, especially as we encounter it in later material, may have its shortcomings but "atrocious" is an adjective more properly applied to this language of English, surly. The "machinery" of Latin is a Swiss watch compared to the dog's breakfast that is English's grammar, orthography and pronunciation.

                Will anyone agree?

                Hic senex scholaticus non. Vivat omnes et vale!

                The signature was not automatically added to the post above regarding the merits of Latin and English. It is from John Nightingale in New Westminster, Canada; very much a fan of Phil's grand endeavour.
              • Eric Mills
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 10, 2012
                  Dear if455kc,

                  I truly and seriously repent - to rub salt into my wounds: "Mea culpa"

                  When I first started Latin at boarding school - all my classmates were two years ahead of me (I was starting from zilch). They were busy parsing, conjugating and mouthing abstruse words I didna comprehend. A further indignity was that I was supposed to imagine talking to a table ... I was still trying to work out to what place the pronouns had gone (English, French and German had them so why not the Romans). Not an excuse but an explanationof why I found Latin an atrocious language (for me to cope with). I suppose, like Winnie the Pooh, I am a bear with a very small brain.

                  That said - a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

                  In friendship,
                  Eric.

                  To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
                  From: if455kc@...
                  Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 19:32:37 +0000
                  Subject: [pepysdiary] Re: Evelyn diary?

> [...]
                  >
                  > Christine in Baltimore, MD

                  "(...any of that atrocious language, please, step up to the grid.)"

                  Tsk.

                  Latin was very much a part of Pepys' world so perhaps this is not an unacceptable digression.

                  Latin, especially as we encounter it in later material, may have its shortcomings but "atrocious" is an adjective more properly applied to this language of English, surly. The "machinery" of Latin is a Swiss watch compared to the dog's breakfast that is English's grammar, orthography and pronunciation.

                  Will anyone agree?

                  Hic senex scholaticus non. Vivat omnes et vale!

                  The signature was not automatically added to the post above regarding the merits of Latin and English. It is from John Nightingale in New Westminster, Canada; very much a fan of Phil's grand endeavour.

                • Mark Hazard
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 11, 2012
                    Eric,

                    If you're still looking for help with passages in Latin, I'll do what I can.  I'm sure there are better Latinists on the pepyslist, but I do have some experience with it (I teach it in high school, and have done some translating).

                    --Mark Hazard

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                      Thank you, Mark - I will write to you direct ... meanwhile,

                      A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
                      to everybody.

                      In friendship,
                      Eric.