Fwd: Migraine: Worms for her, please!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2012
      Roger Brown (rb) sent this.

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: rb <broroger@...>
      Date: Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
      Subject: Migraine: Worms for her, please!
      To: terry foreman <terry.foreman@...>

      Sent to you by rb via Google Reader:

      via Improbable Research by Marc Abrahams on 9/10/12

      Migraine is the subject of a report by Dr Katherine Foxhall [pictured here] in the Wellcome Library blog:

      Houseleeks and Garden Worms

      … Since I began researching the history of migraine three years ago, I have been just as intrigued by the recipe books in the Wellcome Library’s manuscript collections… Jane Jackson’s book is a great example. She carefully compiled her Method of Phisicke and Chirurgery just as Civil War began in England in 1642, and included hundreds of carefully written recipes dealing with everything from common aches, wounds and agues to plague…. her book reveals a lot about early-modern migraine knowledge. Jackson’s first recipe (p.4b) instructs the reader to take ‘houseleeke and garden worms’, stamped together and mixed with fine flour to make a plaster…

      Things you can do from here: