RE: [pepysdiary] That 'Other Diary' - Help Please.

  • Eric Mills
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2012
      Thank you all for the many responses, both direct and via this group.

      It was most instructive and the result is now annotated ... I learned a few things on the way, which was nice (Oops, that sounds big-headed ,,, but you know what I mean).

      The crux of the matter is that it is a New Testament Greek Word meaning 'a busybody' - the full annotation can be seen at:
      http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/xhtml/168/16881007.htm (hover on the Greek word) near the bottom of the page.

      In friendship,
      Eric.

      To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
      From: ericmills1936@...
      Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:28:31 +0100
      Subject: [pepysdiary] That 'Other Diary' - Help Please.

      Hello - in John Evelyn's Diary, I'm slowly getting there, the entry (a largish one) for 7th October, 1688 contains a long word in Greek (it may be ancient Greek, for all I know) that is crucial to understanding the sentence. My perception is that that part of the sentence means something like "I may have it all wrong, but that doesn't mean I'm a bad person." - but said in '17th century-speak.'

      Are there any Greek scholars out there who can assist?

      I would like to put a little annotation to help those who, like me, are 'Greek-Challenged' (to be Politically Correct).

      The quoted letter is inset and in Green text and the word I need help with is in its' ultimate paragraph, standing out somewhat in blue text.

      Your help would be much appreciated - thank you.

      In friendship,
      Eric.
      http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/xhtml/168/16881007.htm
      evelyndiary@...