Re: [pepysdiary] That 'Other Diary' - Help Please.

  • IAN GREENWOOD
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2012
      'Allotrio' is 'something foreign' and 'episkopein' is 'to oversee'. I am no Greek scholar, but at a guess Evelyn seems to be excusing himself for presuming to poke his nose into matters about which others may know more than he. Could apply to this reply, actually!

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2012
        Thank you all for the many responses, both direct and via this group.

        It was most instructive and the result is now annotated ... I learned a few things on the way, which was nice (Oops, that sounds big-headed ,,, but you know what I mean).

        The crux of the matter is that it is a New Testament Greek Word meaning 'a busybody' - the full annotation can be seen at:
        http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/xhtml/168/16881007.htm (hover on the Greek word) near the bottom of the page.

        In friendship,
        Eric.

        To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com