Re: [pepysdiary] For the interested: An illustrated edition of Samuel Pepys' diaries

  • Richard Histon
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
      Hi Terry, I've noticed another illustrated version on UK ebay, 10 volumes. I won't be buying it but not a bad starting price for 10 volumes. I have no idea if the text side of things is good.

      http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110935272361&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

      Richard

      On 12/08/2012 19:13, terry foreman wrote:

      Chris Riddell: What I'm thinking about ... a new era for illustration

      'In the digital future, texts will be annotated visually, animated and illustrated like never before

      For my birthday this year I was given a 1947 edition of Samuel Pepys' diaries. This was post-war austerity Britain and materials were scarce, so the book is printed on thin "prayer book" paper and has an austere, two-colour paperback binding. But the book also contains dozens of exquisite black and white illustrations by EH Shepard , one of the greatest illustrators of the age.[Repr. of Everybody's Pepys,1926 http://www.rookebooks.com/product?prod_id=21167 ]

      Today Shepard is known chiefly for his illustrations to AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh books and for his wonderful characterisations of Mole, Ratty and Mr Toad in The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame's classic children's book. But, as his beautiful pictures of Pepys and his peers show, Shepard was more than a children's book illustrator.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/aug/12/chris-riddell-new-era-illustration?newsfeed=true