RE: [pepysdiary] Dear Diary (Sam and John) ...

  • Eric Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2012
      Hello Everybody,

      A biggish 'oops' in my posting about the John Evelyn entry for the 2nd October, 1685.

      Paul Chapin (an interested 'Lurker' - who may well be joining us) gave me a well-deserved history lesson when he pointed out that the 'then King's Father' was, in fact, the 'then King's Brother.' Some 60 years or so ago, I think I was carving my name on my school desk with my penknife during that particular History lesson. I wasn't particularly interested ... I didn't know any of them and they didn't play Rugby.

      Thank you, Paul ... I have since brushed up on the somewhat complicated family tree of Charles II.

      In friendship,
      Eric.
      evelyndiary@...

      To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
      From: ericmills1936@...
      Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:39:56 +0100
      Subject: [pepysdiary] Dear Diary (Sam and John) ...

      Hello Everybody,

      I'm still plugging away at the (work in progress)  'on-line' version of 'that Other Diary.' Samuel, of course, was a great personal friend of John Evelyn and they corresponded and sometimes met. Their friendship was still going strong by 2nd of October, 1685 (now, that was a turbulent year). that date has an interesting 'Dear Diary' type of entry about the then King's father - I won't spoil it, although it is in the history books anyway:

      http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/xhtml/168/16851002.htm

      In friendship,
      Eric.

      The Evelyn Diary web pages.