For the interested: An illustrated edition of Samuel Pepys' diaries

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2012

      Chris Riddell: What I'm thinking about ... a new era for illustration

      'In the digital future, texts will be annotated visually, animated and illustrated like never before

      For my birthday this year I was given a 1947 edition of Samuel Pepys' diaries. This was post-war austerity Britain and materials were scarce, so the book is printed on thin "prayer book" paper and has an austere, two-colour paperback binding. But the book also contains dozens of exquisite black and white illustrations by EH Shepard , one of the greatest illustrators of the age.[Repr. of Everybody's Pepys,1926 http://www.rookebooks.com/product?prod_id=21167 ]

      Today Shepard is known chiefly for his illustrations to AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh books and for his wonderful characterisations of Mole, Ratty and Mr Toad in The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame's classic children's book. But, as his beautiful pictures of Pepys and his peers show, Shepard was more than a children's book illustrator.

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2012/aug/12/chris-riddell-new-era-illustration?newsfeed=true

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2012
        This edition of Pepys - Everybody's Pepys - was my introduction to the Diary. My parents owned this work. I remember many of the illustrations embued with Shephard's gentle wit and close observations. "Hearing the maids read" is particularly lovely.

        --
        Kind regards,

        Susan Thomas

        Emphron Informatics
        Level 3 88 Jephson St
        TOOWONG
        QLD 4066

        Office: +61 7 3503 1765
        Mobile: 0411 094 688
        Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

        Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

      • Sulamith Potter
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12, 2012
          Yes, this edition was my introduction to the diary, too. I found a copy at a library sale, and was enchanted with the drawings.

                                     Sulie