Dear Diary (Sam and John) ...

  • Eric Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 11, 2012
      Hello Everybody,

      I'm still plugging away at the (work in progress)  'on-line' version of 'that Other Diary.' Samuel, of course, was a great personal friend of John Evelyn and they corresponded and sometimes met. Their friendship was still going strong by 2nd of October, 1685 (now, that was a turbulent year). that date has an interesting 'Dear Diary' type of entry about the then King's father - I won't spoil it, although it is in the history books anyway:

      http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/xhtml/168/16851002.htm

      In friendship,
      Eric.

      The Evelyn Diary web pages.
      email: evelyndiary@...

      http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2012
        Eric,

        Thanks for that sneak-peek!

        Terry Foreman

        On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Eric Mills <ericmills1936@...> wrote:

        Hello Everybody,

        I'm still plugging away at the (work in progress)  'on-line' version of 'that Other Diary.' Samuel, of course, was a great personal friend of John Evelyn and they corresponded and sometimes met. Their friendship was still going strong by 2nd of October, 1685 (now, that was a turbulent year). that date has an interesting 'Dear Diary' type of entry about the then King's father - I won't spoil it, although it is in the history books anyway:

        http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/xhtml/168/16851002.htm

        In friendship,
        Eric.

        The Evelyn Diary web pages.
        email: evelyndiary@...

        http://hughyeman.com/evelyn/

      • Linda Faucheux
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 11, 2012
          Thanks, Eric.  Just came upon this mention of the writings of Evelyn and Pepys in Thomas Wolfe's Of Time and the River (Scribner's 1935 ed., p. 587), describing treasures found in a personal library:

             ". . . there was the pungent worldliness of life-loving men; the keen diaries of John Evelyn, the lusty tang and calculation and sensual rumination of old Pepys, the writing bright as noon, natural as morning. . . ."

          A noon and a morning that never fade.

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2012
            Thanks for the 'heads up' on Thomas Wolfe "Of Time and the River"
            My grateful thanks, too, to Yale University and the Rockerfeller Foundation for enabling me to download my very own copy from the Internet !! It looks a thundering good read in its' own right ... hence it is in my folder called ... you guessed it ... GoodReads.

            In friendship,
            Eric.

            To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
            From: faucheux33@...
            Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:54:07 -0700
            Subject: Re: [pepysdiary] Dear Diary (Sam and John) ...

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2012
              Caveat: The mention quoted is the only reference to Evelyn and Pepys in the entire 912 pages of Wolfe's opus, but parts of the book (which carries forward the story and characters introduced in Wolfe's Look Homeward, Angel) are as good as anything else ever written.

              From: faucheux33@...
              Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:54:07 -0700

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 13, 2012
                Linda,
                As I said ... in my 'Good Reads' directory ... and there it stays along with other favourites ... including ... oh dear ... my secret is out ... 'Wind in the Willows.'

                In friendship,
                Eric.

                To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
                From: faucheux33@...
                Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 18:06:37 -0700

                From: faucheux33@...
                Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:54:07 -0700

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 13, 2012
                  Hello Everybody,

                  A biggish 'oops' in my posting about the John Evelyn entry for the 2nd October, 1685.

                  Paul Chapin (an interested 'Lurker' - who may well be joining us) gave me a well-deserved history lesson when he pointed out that the 'then King's Father' was, in fact, the 'then King's Brother.' Some 60 years or so ago, I think I was carving my name on my school desk with my penknife during that particular History lesson. I wasn't particularly interested ... I didn't know any of them and they didn't play Rugby.

                  Thank you, Paul ... I have since brushed up on the somewhat complicated family tree of Charles II.

                  In friendship,
                  Eric.
                  evelyndiary@...

                  To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com