Pepys's sleep - "It seems that, thanks to the light bulb, the entire industrialized world is sleeping unnaturally"

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 9, 2012

      'Dreamland': Open Your Eyes To The Science Of Sleep

      http://www.npr.org/2012/08/07/158087512/dreamland-open-your-eyes-to-the-science-of-sleep

      "One particularly fascinating sleep fact that [the author of *Dreamland*] reports is that the sleep rhythms of the human brain have fundamentally changed over the centuries. Medieval literary texts, medical manuscripts and tales make reference to a mysterious "first sleep" and "second sleep." The "first sleep" began shortly after sundown and lasted until after midnight. When people woke up, they would pray, read, have sex, whatever. The "second sleep" then lasted until sunup. In experiments, researchers have found that when people live solely by natural light, they revert back to this ancient "segmented sleep" pattern and that, chemically, the body in that interval between first and second sleep is "in a state equivalent to what you might feel after spending a day at the spa." It seems that, thanks to the light bulb, the entire industrialized world is sleeping unnaturally."
    • MARY
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2012
        This is excellent. The last time I was able to suit myself about sleep habits was in my last year of high school. Due to a lengthy teachers' strike, we had to complete 2 terms of work in 1 (between March and June of that year).

        I came home from school, slept from about 4:30 until 7:30; got up, ate dinner and studied til about midnight. Watched Dick Cavett and Tom Snyder (N Americans will know my age now), then went to bed around 1:30 or 2 a.m. Got up at 7, and got ready for school.

        I've always felt that this was when I was the best-rested: 2 'sleeps' of about 4 hours or so, separated by a few of hours of activity. People have always thought this a crazy regimen, but now it appears there is *scientific proof*

        So, yay.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 10, 2012
          Pepys did not seem to mention this in the Diary, but then he did not tend to mention the normal patterns of life, just the unusual things. He does, however, always say when, in winter, he had to be "up by candlelight" - an unusual state of affairs. Nowadays, yes, we are driven by the lightbulb. Or globe as Australians say.

          --
          Kind regards,

          Susan Thomas

          Emphron Informatics
          Level 3 88 Jephson St
          TOOWONG
          QLD 4066

          Office: +61 7 3503 1765
          Mobile: 0411 094 688
          Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

          Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

        • Terry
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 31, 2013
            A review of two books on the pre-19c bi-modal sleep pattern that are older (2004, 2011).

            http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 31, 2013
              Wikipedia on board: Segmented sleep, also known as divided sleep, bimodal sleep pattern, bifurcated sleep, or interrupted sleep, is a polyphasic or biphasic sleep pattern where two or more periods of sleep are punctuated by periods of wakefulness. Along with a nap (siesta) in the day, it has been argued that this is the natural pattern of human sleep.[1][2] A case has been made that maintaining such a sleep pattern may be important in regulating stress.

              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep