Re: How old is Samuel Pepys in this image?

  • laurasu11ivan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3 8:17 PM
      Terry,

      http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/PaintingDetail.cfm?ID=BHC2947

      Here is a link to a portrait painted by Sir Godfrey Kneller in 1689.
      If you compare the sketch to the portrait, they're incredibly similar.
      In 1689 Pepys was 56, yes?

      Laura

      --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>
      wrote:

      > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/image.aspx?
      compid=45272&filename=fig51.gif

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3 9:51 PM
        Laura,

        It looks like the you've ID's the original. Thanks very much.

        Is yours posted to Flickr?

        http://www.flickr.com/groups/pepysdiary/

        So far I haven't found it.

        Thanks,

        Terry

      • mfrassociates@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3 10:37 PM
          Terry:

          If its any help the image you enquired about appears to be a steel engraving, probably executed circa 1840 (plus or minus 10 years) and, from the size of the background hatching,  blown up about 2-3 x along each dimension.  From Laura's info would seem that the Kneller (or a secondary derivative image) was the source of the engraving.

          Hope this persiflage of use.

          Michael Robinson

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4 8:33 AM
            Michael Robinson,

            You are expert in this field (as your annotations have shown), and these details bring the hammer down.

            Thanks much,

            Terry