Coins With Samuel Pepys head stamped on them

  • angelamellor@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 21 9:21 AM
      Hello,

      My Dad tells a story that in Tipperary Ireland about 1945 while he was cutting turf with his uncle , they came across a tree trunk buried in the bog.
      After digging it out they discovered the trunk was hollow and the cavity contained butter and copper coins with the head of Samuel Pepys stamped on them. He was about 15 at the time and remembers his uncle brought the coins home and they were around the house for a few days.
      My Dad then went back home to Dublin and the coins were not seen or mentioned again.
      Would it be possible that the man on the coins was Samuel Pepys ?

      Thanks & Regards Angela
    • ewwright@btinternet.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 21 9:39 AM
        I have heard of bog butter being found in Irish bogs before in fact
        270 barrels of the stuff. Cannot beleive our man Sam was on the coins though.
        http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18124392.400-bog-butter-test.html

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "angelamellor@..." <amellor@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > My Dad tells a story that in Tipperary Ireland about 1945 while he was cutting turf with his uncle , they came across a tree trunk buried in the bog.
        > After digging it out they discovered the trunk was hollow and the cavity contained butter and copper coins with the head of Samuel Pepys stamped on them. He was about 15 at the time and remembers his uncle brought the coins home and they were around the house for a few days.
        > My Dad then went back home to Dublin and the coins were not seen or mentioned again.
        > Would it be possible that the man on the coins was Samuel Pepys ?
        >
        > Thanks & Regards Angela

      • Dorothy Willis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22 10:39 AM

          I have never heard of Bog butter.  Fascinating!

          I also doubt it was Sam on the coins.  It was probably Charlie or Jamie.  With those big curly wigs everyone looks alike!

          Dorothy Willis

          >I have heard of bog butter being found in Irish bogs before in fact

          >270 barrels of the stuff. Cannot beleive our man Sam was on the coins though.
          >http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18124392.400-bog-butter-test.html
          >
          >--- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, "angelamellor@..." <amellor@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hello,
          > >
          > >My Dad tells a story that in Tipperary Ireland about 1945 while he was cutting turf with his uncle , they came across a tree trunk buried in the bog.
          > >After digging it out they discovered the trunk was hollow and the cavity contained butter and copper coins with the head of Samuel Pepys stamped on them. He was about 15 at the time and remembers his uncle brought the coins home and they were around the house for a few days.
          >> My Dad then went back home to Dublin and the coins were not seen or mentioned again.
          > >Would it be possible that the man on the coins was Samuel Pepys ?
          >>
          >> Thanks & Regards Angela

        • Hendersondonald
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24 3:20 AM
            It certainly wouldn't have been Sam on a coin.

            I suppose it would be theoretically possible that he appeared on a token, but it's far more likely it was either a coin of James, Charles or even William, or else it was a much later medal showing Sam.