Re: [pepysdiary] Pepys in Jail ! Read al about it.

  • Thomas Erickson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2012
      The charge was "being Catholic." He was sent to the tour, defended, supported and ultimately bailed out by his friends, and charges were eventually dropped.

      See part IV of the EXCELLENT article " The Next Chapter of Samuel Pepys" by Jeannine Kerwin: http://www.pepysdiary.com/indepth/archive/2012/05/31/the_next_chapter.php.

      =
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 18, 2012
        Read Jeannine's review-essay of

        'The Plot Against Pepys' by James Long and Ben Long

          http://www.pepysdiary.com/indepth/archive/2007/08/16/the_plot_against_pe.php

        and read the book!

        On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Eric Mills <ericmills1936@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Eric Mills
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2012
          Oh, dear, retirement is such a busy time ... I'm still wading through Pepys's Diary (Thanks Phil), struggling through John Evelyn's Diary (Thanks University of California Riverside), exploring the universe of In Depth Pepys Archives (Thanks Thomas for the pointer) and now (Thanks Terry for the lead to the book) yet another adventure of the 17th Century to explore.

          I apologise if my typing is not too good - trying to eat marmalade on toast, whilst balancing a cuppa and juggling with the mouse to flip between screens - whilst the IMF are whingeing in the background about the EuroZone ... Ah, I'll get on my Hobby Horse and trundle back to 1666 and watch that big bonfire in London.

          In friendship,
          Eric.

          To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com