RE: [pepysdiary] Pepys gives talk on the Great Fire

  • Eric Mills
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2012
      Nice link, Terry. I was interested to hear about us lot not writing any more with quill pens - true ... and a good thing too. Did you know that quill pens were often the primary feathers from geese - more common then than now. Now the interesting financial facts of the case are these.

      A primary feather plucked from the right wing of a goose bends - sort of to the right (that's the way the wing works) and a primary feather from the left wing bends to the left. Interesting, but so what? I hear you ask.

      If you use a Right Wing feather, the feather as you write will curve along your forearm and sort of aim at the bicep muscle. If, on the other hand, you use a Left Wing feather it will bend to the left and more-or-less poke you in the eye.

      Only those who could not afford otherwise used a Left Wing Quill pen ... This meant that Right Wing quills were more expensive than Left Wing Quills - Market Forces at work in the 1660s. Not every one knows that.

      In friendship,
      Eric.

      To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
      From: terry.foreman@...