How old is Samuel Pepys in this image?

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3 5:44 PM
      http://www.british-history.ac.uk/image.aspx?compid=45272&filename=fig51.gif

      The page doesn't say, but he's middle-aged.

      Perhaps his clothing gives it away?.

      Terry
    • laurasu11ivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3 8:17 PM
        Terry,

        http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/PaintingDetail.cfm?ID=BHC2947

        Here is a link to a portrait painted by Sir Godfrey Kneller in 1689.
        If you compare the sketch to the portrait, they're incredibly similar.
        In 1689 Pepys was 56, yes?

        Laura

        --- In pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com, Terry Foreman <terry.foreman@...>
        wrote:

        > http://www.british-history.ac.uk/image.aspx?
        compid=45272&filename=fig51.gif

        > The page doesn't say, but he's middle-aged.
        >
        > Perhaps his clothing gives it away?.
        >

        > Terry

      • laurasu11ivan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3 8:24 PM
          This may appear twice, as my ISP is acting up...

          http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/pages/mnuExplore/PaintingDetail.cfm?
          ID=BHC2947
          This web address shows a portrait by Sir Godfrey Kneller, from 1689
          that is incredibly similar to the image you posted. In this
          portrait, Pepys is 56, yes? Could one image be a copy of the other?

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3 9:51 PM
            Laura,

            It looks like the you've ID's the original. Thanks very much.

            Is yours posted to Flickr?

            http://www.flickr.com/groups/pepysdiary/

            So far I haven't found it.

            Thanks,

            Terry

          • mfrassociates@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3 10:37 PM
              Terry:

              If its any help the image you enquired about appears to be a steel engraving, probably executed circa 1840 (plus or minus 10 years) and, from the size of the background hatching,  blown up about 2-3 x along each dimension.  From Laura's info would seem that the Kneller (or a secondary derivative image) was the source of the engraving.

              Hope this persiflage of use.

              Michael Robinson

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4 8:33 AM
                Michael Robinson,

                You are expert in this field (as your annotations have shown), and these details bring the hammer down.

                Thanks much,

                Terry