Re: [pepysdiary] A NYTimes.com review of PepysDiary.com that I missed - Yay, Phil!

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Thanks Terry.

      Coincidentally, if anyone happens to live in west London, I think
      Pepys' Diary is featured on the back page of the free weekly 'West
      London Informer' that comes out today.

      Phil

      At 10:00 -0500 2006-09-01, Terry Foreman wrote:
      http://tech2.nytimes.com/mem/technology/techreview.html?_r=1&res=9501E1D61131F935A25752C0A9659C8B63&oref=slogin

      ONLINE DIARY

      By PAMELA LICALZI O'CONNELL
      Published: January 16, 2003, Thursday

      [...]

      A new online diary made its debut on Jan. 1. Yes, there are already
      millions of such personal Web sites. But this diary belongs to Samuel
      Pepys, who lived from 1633 to 1703, long before ''Weblog'' cracked
      the lexicon.

      Pepys (pronounced peeps), a British naval administrator, was a
      compulsive diarist who recorded his life in detail for nine years
      beginning on New Year's Day 1660. The resulting diary is the most
      comprehensive personal account of life in the 17th century. The site,
      The Diary of Samuel Pepys (pepysdiary.com), posts Pepys's entries in
      a Weblog format as if they had just been written -- a new one is
      added each day -- with the goal of allowing people to read along for
      nine years.

      Phil Gyford, a Web developer in London, set up the site because he
      had always wanted to read the diary but found it ''daunting and
      uninviting'' in its long form. ''I haven't read much further ahead
      than what's on the site,'' he said by e-mail. ''I'm enjoying reading
      it along with everyone else.''
      Mr. Gyford also had the inspired idea of allowing site visitors to
      annotate the entries. The annotations can be personal comments or
      explanations proffered for obscure terms and historical references.
      The result is like reading a book along with a group of clued-in
      friends.

      Still, Pepys should not be taken as a model by today's online
      diarists. Although ''Pepys's diary shows us that the smallest of
      everyday details can be fascinating a few hundred years in the
      future,'' Mr. Gyford said, ''I wouldn't want to encourage Webloggers
      to put even more of the details of their lives online.''

      tel: +44 (0)7866 436847
      aim: philgyford