Site News: Belated improvements

    Message 1 of 4 , May 29, 2012
      Belated improvements
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2012/05/29/13835.php

      Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been going through my neglected list of things on the site I’ve been meaning to fix or add. Better (very) late than never! Here’s what I’ve been doing:

      Added overlays to maps

      In any of the maps on the site (like this one: http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/maps/?c=28 ) there is now 'Pepys overlays...' button at the top-right. Clicking this lets you switch on three overlays to give a better idea of aspects of Pepys' London: the route of the City wall; the area that was damaged by the Great Fire; and the area that London's buildings covered. I've tried to be accurate but it's not like accurate historical research! The extent of buildings is particularly rough, but hopefully gives an idea of scale.

      Added Annotations to the exported data

      When I originally created <http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/01/22/12085.php> a computer-readable export of lots of the data behind the site, some people hoped I would add annotations, because they're such an important part of the whole experience. I've now included these (increasing the size of the zip file from 8MB to 20MB!). <http://www.pepysdiary.com/export/json/README.html>

      Improvents to first three months of the Diary

      When this site started I wasn't as rigorous as I am today about adding links from Diary entries to Encyclopedia topics. But I've now been through the first three months' worth of entries and brought them up to the standard of recent entries.

      Fixed the pop-up tips on iPad etc

      The little panels that appear in Diary entries when you move your cursor over a link have always been a problem on devices like iPads -- they would never disappear. They should now work better: Touch a link to make the panel appear, then touch elsewhere for it to disappear. Or touch the link again to go to that page.

      Added references to letters

      Although Encyclopedia topics show when that topic was referenced in Diary entries, there was never a similar feature for when a topic was referenced in Pepys' letters <http://www.pepysdiary.com/letters/>. Now there is, for example on the page for Erith in Kent <http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/2697.php#references>, which was mentioned in three of the letters from John Evelyn we have on the site.

      Added diary references to Pepys' wealth

      While we've had a page that graphs Pepys' wealth over time, it didn't have references to specific Diary entries. Now it does: <http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/9548.php#references>

      Added a Whitehall Palace map

      I've added a category to the large maps that groups all the individual places Pepys has mentioned in Whitehall Palace: <http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/maps/?c=180>

      Tidied up the list of London taverns

      The Encyclopedia page that lists taverns in London <http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/places/london/taverns.php> had got rather confused, with many taverns from elsewhere in the country. Now it only includes London locations, with the others now on the Rest of Britain <http://www.pepysdiary.com/background/places/britain.php> page (which could probably do with some reorganisation itself).

      And that's all! I wish I'd done some of these a lot sooner, but you can't do everything at once. Hopefully they'll be a benefit in the future.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 29, 2012
        Phil,

        You have been busy!  These are helpful: e.g. one can readily see how much of London-within-the-walls was destroyed by the fire and how fortunate the area around the Tower, incl Seething Lane was to escape the burn -- thanks to the blown-up-houses firebreak!

        May we also expect to have at some point  a final Google-enabled data summary of the site stats (numbers and locations of views and viewers' global locations, etc.)?

        Thanks for all you've done, and congratulations on this unprecedented -- perhaps singular -- accomplishment!

        Terry

        Message 3 of 4 , May 29, 2012
          On 29 May, 2012, at 17:48, terry foreman wrote:

          May we also expect to have at some point  a final Google-enabled data summary of the site stats (numbers and locations of views and viewers' global locations, etc.)?

          Yes, I'll put something together, either this weekend or in a couple of weeks, depending on time allowing!

          Message 4 of 4 , May 29, 2012
            Thank you, thank you, Phil! Enhancing our Diary experience as ever! If anyone does this with someone else's diaries (Boswell??), she/he now has a model of How To Do It - you have now set the Gold Standard, I think. Much appreciated.

            On 30 May 2012 01:58, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

[...]

            Kind regards,

            Susan Thomas

            Emphron Informatics
            Level 3 88 Jephson St
            TOOWONG
            QLD 4066

            Office: +61 7 3503 1765
            Mobile: 0411 094 688
            Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

            Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.