Re: [pepysdiary] Where was Pepys's office in 1660?

    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 3:42 AM
      Ahh, brilliant, thanks Pauline. After all these years I still get confused by the details of Sam's long-ago life!  I'll go through and correct early references to the Navy Office as his place of work.

      Phil

      On 14 May, 2012, at 18:56, Pauline Benson wrote:

      Hi Phil,

      Sam worked as a personal employee (a clerk) for George Downing, an official (Teller of the Receipt 1656-84) at the Exchequer, which occupied a series of buildings within the palace of Westminster, on the east side of New Palace Yard.

      From the L&M Companion, good info in the Exchequer entry.

      He also worked personally for Edward Montagu (later Lord Sandwich).

      Best,
      Pauline
      On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

      I'm going through tidying up some of the earliest diary entries, as they have lots of links missing. He often refers to "my office" but I assume at this point, while he was living on Axe Yard, it wasn't the Navy Office on Seething Lane - it sounds like he's still around Westminster.

      So does anyone have any idea where "my office" might be in those days?

      Thanks,