King Charles II 'wanted' poster fetches £33,000

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2012

      A rare "wanted" poster for Charles II has been sold for just over £33,000 at an auction in Shropshire.

      The poster offers a reward of £1,000 for the capture of the king, who had escaped after the battle of Worcester in 1651.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-17298864
    • gillianbagwell
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
        I just wish it was going to a Charles-related place rather than to Cromwell's house! Charles's escape is such an amazing story.

        Forgive the plug, but my novel "The September Queen" tells the story of Charles's odyssey trying to get to safety in France after Worcester - and specifically the story of Jane Lane, who helped him escape by disgusing him as her servant. It'll be released in the U.K. in July under the title "The King's Mistress" (not my choice!) In the run-up to the U.S. release in November I was blogging the daily events in the six weeks between the battle and when he finally set sail for France. www.theroyalmiracle.blogspost.com.
      • Eric Mills
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2012
          The web-link (that works) is:  http://theroyalmiracle.blogspot.com/  (small but understandable typo)
          I'm currently exploring it - seems OK to me ... I like it, Gillian.

          In friendship,
          Eric

          To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
          From: nellgwynn54@...
          Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:37:35 +0000
          Subject: [pepysdiary] Re: King Charles II 'wanted' poster fetches £33,000

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 10, 2012
            Thanks, Eric, silly of me. Yes, correct URL is:

            www.theroyalmiracle.blogspot.com