Jotting Down Notes

  • ian74889
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
      Is there any evidence that Pepys took notes while about his daily business? I am thinking especially of his Great Fire week entries, which he wrote up the following Saturday or Sunday. If he did do this (rather than remembering the entire thing) how might it have been done?
    • Eric Mills
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2012
        I would have thought that the purpose of 'shorthand' was to take 'real-time' notes of what was happening - as a secretary to a meeting does today.

        Perhaps the oral tradition, still in force at that time, and its' consequentially associated 'good memory' function, have between them,  helped Pepys in his subsequent (hopefully) accurate recall of events - that's my groat's-worth* anyway. (*Period translation of "My four-penn'orth")

        Eric.
        (Eric Mills)

        To: pepysdiary@yahoogroups.com
        From: iangreenwood2@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 18:51:58 +0000
        Subject: [pepysdiary] Jotting Down Notes

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2012
          The evidence for that is vaguely circumstantial.

          We know Pepys made shorthand jottings each day of expenses as he could.

          Those notes for the trip he took June 5-17 1668 were never fleshed out.  http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1668/06/05/

          What he did during the Great Fire was quite different than many of the travel days, some were more fleshed out.
          E.g.:
          http://www.pepysdiary.com/archive/1668/06/11/

          On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM, ian74889 <iangreenwood2@...> wrote:
          Is there any evidence that Pepys took notes while about his daily business? I am thinking especially of his Great Fire week entries, which he wrote up the following Saturday or Sunday. If he did do this (rather than remembering the entire thing) how might it have been done?

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)