Site News: Recent Activity page is back

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
      Site News: Recent Activity page is back
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2012/02/03/13275.php

      I had a brainwave about how the Recent Activity <http://www.pepysdiary.com/recent/> page is generated and it seems to work. The page is now re-created every five minutes and seems to do so without keeping the database occupied for ages like it used to. Fingers crossed it'll keep working like this from now on.

      There might be occasions when it lists fewer recent things on the page, depending on the distribution of where annotations are... but it's certainly better than nothing.

      (For the technically minded and interested... Previous versions of the page required joins between the database tables holding annotations and entries, and this was too much for the shared server to cope with without making temporary tables etc. In the most recent previous version of the page, this was taking a few minutes for each of the page's four lists, and prevente any other queries on the annotations table (such as posting a new annotation). I realised I could get much the same data without any joins, and this takes seconds. Much simpler!)

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
        Excellent!  I bet you had this brainwave when you weren't consciously thinking about it (one reason why so many good ideas happen when in the shower...   :-)

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2012
          Great! Thanks for all your enhancements, which, because it all in general works so smoothly, we tend to take for granted and shouldn't! Thank you.

          On 3 February 2012 22:33, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:

[...]

          Kind regards,

          Susan Thomas

          Emphron Informatics
          Level 3 88 Jephson St
          TOOWONG
          QLD 4066

          Office: +61 7 3503 1765
          Mobile: 0411 094 688
          Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

          Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.