Annotation slowness

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 15, 2012
      Hi,

      Am I right in thinking that posting annotations can be very slow - the site taking a long time to respond? Does it seem even slower than usual the last few days?

      I'm having trouble accessing the admin system myself, and was wondering if it was just me...?

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 15, 2012
        It''s been VERY SLOW.

        Terry Foreman

        On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Phil Gyford <lists@...> wrote:
        Hi,

        Am I right in thinking that posting annotations can be very slow - the site taking a long time to respond? Does it seem even slower than usual the last few days?

        I'm having trouble accessing the admin system myself, and was wondering if it was just me...?

        Thanks,

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           pepysdiary-digest@yahoogroups.com
           pepysdiary-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
          Yes, I agree - treacle.

          --
          Kind regards,

          Susan Thomas

          Emphron Informatics
          Level 3 88 Jephson St
          TOOWONG
          QLD 4066

          Office: +61 7 3503 1765
          Mobile: 0411 094 688
          Fax: +61 7 3318 7677

          Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information, which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies, which may be in your possession. By reading this communication, the recipient(s) have accepted that it is confidential and NOT subject to any form of public disclosure. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law. The company screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
            Sorry about the slowness.

            I *might* have done something which will help... Languagehat emailed me while the site wasn't even responding, and I happened to catch it while it was at its worse. There was a single database process that was taking minutes to send all its data, and that was holding up everything else.

            I eventually worked out that that database query was coming from one of the several anti-spam systems! I've turned it off entirely now. I'm not sure that it's made a difference, and there's at least one other thing making an occasional, very slow database query which I haven't tracked down yet.

            Let me know if it seems to have helped...

            Phil

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2012
                Did what you did help?  Alas, not yet.

                As Susan has written, your work is not unappreciated (FWIW).

                But it is surely aggravating to have the site bite back, as though you had created your own monster!

                Terry