Site News: What happens to this website after the diary ends

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2012
      What happens to this website after the diary ends
      http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2012/01/03/13186.php

      I keep getting asked what will happen to the website when the diary ends in 2012 (or 1669). And so that I have one place to point people for the answer, here's the current plan, such as it is.

      ### What will definitely happen

      Some people will be getting together in London to celebrate/commiserate the end of the diary! http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/11/27/13102.php

      After a few days, I'll change the front page of the website so that it makes for a better general introduction to the diary. It will probably feature links to diary entries for the current day in all the years of the diary, and probably all or some of the text for one of them.

      I'll probably include other things yet to be decided: Links to (and maybe excerpts of) interesting or popular diary entries or periods (such as the Great Fire). Links to In-Depth Articles or particularly good Encyclopedia entries. Any other ideas welcome!

      Other than the front page, the website will definitely stay much as it is, and will remain online.

      ### What definitely won't happen

      * The front page of the site won't immediately "start again" by beginning to show diary entries in sequence from the first year of the diary (1660).
      * The RSS feed won't immediately start again with 1660's diary entries (it won't be updating at all).
      * The daily emails won't immediately start again with diary entries from 1660.
      * @samuelpepys on Twitter won't immediately start tweeting 1660's events.

      After running this site for nearly a decade I'm looking forward to a break from having to pay it attention (even if only a small amount at times!) so often.

      Also, it seems more appropriate that we should accept that Pepys has stopped writing. It was a big event for him, and it should be a big event for us -- re-starting things immediately diminishes the effect I think.

      ### What might happen

      I *might* turn off the ability to add new annotations at some point after the diary ends -- I expect there won't be many new ones added after a while. But the site still has to filter an awful lot of spam annotations and, eventually, it may be simpler to accept no new annotations at all.

      When 2013 starts, I *might* start showing the diary again, in order, on the front page, in the RSS feed, and by email, from 1st January 1660. If so, it *might* be a "read-only" experience, with annotations turned off. As I'll already have all the diary entries in the system, with all their links, this shouldn't require much of my time once it's set up.

      At the start of 2013 I *might* also start @samuelpepys on Twitter again, from 1660. I'd like to see this happen, because I enjoy his tweets, but it would be more work -- I only have the final few years of the diary already prepared in tweet form from this time around.

      ### That's it

      So, that's it. If you have any other questions about what happens when the diary finishes, do ask!