Re: [pepysdiary] Site News: End of the diary in London, May 2012

  • Jennifer Doughty
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2011
      I wish I could make it, but alas my UK trip in 2012 will be mid-February
      to late March. I'd like to think that my old friend Keith Wright, who died
      a couple of years ago now, will be there with you in spirit, having
      followed the diary all along until his sudden death. I miss him, even
      though we only met in a virtual fashion and occasionally corresponded the
      old-fashioned snail mail way.

      Jenny

      On 11/27/11 7:21 AM, "Phil Gyford" <lists@...> wrote:

      >End of the diary in London, May 2012
      >http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/11/27/13102.php
      >

      >As most of you are probably aware, the diary ends next year. (Apologies
      >if this is a spoiler for you, but I fear this particular surprise is
      >unavoidable.) It would be great to see Sam off with a gathering in London
      >for anyone who¹s able to make it.
      >
      >So, a date for your diary: Saturday 26th May 2012. I don¹t have a precise
      >plan yet, but consider that a definite date on which anyone who¹s able to
      >be in London can celebrate Sam, Elizabeth, the diary and the past
      >nine-and-a-bit years.
      >
      >I¹m currently thinking of maybe a guided walk of Pepys¹ London in the
      >afternoon and a dinner together in the evening. Any other suggestions are
      >very welcome!
      >
      >At some point nearer the time I¹ll need to know how many people will be
      >able to make it, but that¹s not necessary right now ‹ I just thought some
      >advance warning would be good for anyone hoping to come over from far
      >afield!
      >
      >I¹ll post further updates both here and on the discussion group. If you
      >have any questions or concerns, do post a comment below, or email me
      >directly.
      >

      >--
      >Phil Gyford
      >http://www.gyford.com/

    • phe_tryagain
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2011
        A great idea.

        I will definitely try to make it (though now living in Belgium).

        I followed the online diary much more closely in the early days and often left comments. More recently, I've been less dedicated, but retain a passion for Pepys, and dip in from time to time, often via my Blackberry - a gadget that Sam would unquestionably have been fascinated by.

        In spring 2004, I spent a couple of days doing my best to walk in Sam's footsteps around London. From this, I prepared some short articles with photos, which are now in the Sept 2005 section of 'In-depth articles' - on St Margaret's Church, The Banqueting House and Fleet Street. I had plans for more, but so far did not get round to it!

        Peter Easton / PHE

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2011
          Would love to, but my 30th college reunion is the same weekend ... too many plans already around that.

          Jenny, have also been thinking about Keith lately ... he always sent little "care packages" my way around the holidays.  I know he would have enjoyed the recent goings-on in Sam's world, as well as the annotations surrounding it!

          Phil, as always, you have my gratitude for this decade-long labor of love that has brought so many people together.

          I wish I could make it, but alas my UK trip in 2012 will be mid-February
          to late March. I'd like to think that my old friend Keith Wright, who died
          a couple of years ago now, will be there with you in spirit, having
          followed the diary all along until his sudden death. I miss him, even
          though we only met in a virtual fashion and occasionally corresponded the
          old-fashioned snail mail way.

          Jenny

          On 11/27/11 7:21 AM, "Phil Gyford" <lists@...> wrote:

          >End of the diary in London, May 2012
          >http://www.pepysdiary.com/about/archive/2011/11/27/13102.php
          >

          >As most of you are probably aware, the diary ends next year. (Apologies
          >if this is a spoiler for you, but I fear this particular surprise is
          >unavoidable.) It would be great to see Sam off with a gathering in London
          >for anyone who¹s able to make it.
          >
          >So, a date for your diary: Saturday 26th May 2012. I don¹t have a precise
          >plan yet, but consider that a definite date on which anyone who¹s able to
          >be in London can celebrate Sam, Elizabeth, the diary and the past
          >nine-and-a-bit years.
          >
          >I¹m currently thinking of maybe a guided walk of Pepys¹ London in the
          >afternoon and a dinner together in the evening. Any other suggestions are
          >very welcome!
          >
          >At some point nearer the time I¹ll need to know how many people will be
          >able to make it, but that¹s not necessary right now ‹ I just thought some
          >advance warning would be good for anyone hoping to come over from far
          >afield!
          >
          >I¹ll post further updates both here and on the discussion group. If you
          >have any questions or concerns, do post a comment below, or email me
          >directly.
          >

          >--
          >Phil Gyford
          >http://www.gyford.com/

        • Planet_Stories
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2011
            I cannot make it, but hope that the diary will remain online? Or perhaps find life in another format? (I, for one, would love to have it on CD-ROM, with all the links internal, for hours of chasing down one rabbit hole after the other).

            Fred Kiesche

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2011
              On 28 Nov, 2011, at 14:18, Planet_Stories wrote:

              > I cannot make it, but hope that the diary will remain online? Or perhaps find life in another format? (I, for one, would love to have it on CD-ROM, with all the links internal, for hours of chasing down one rabbit hole after the other).

              The website won't be going anywhere!

              It should be possible for me to make an archive version of the site - a folder of many files that you could always view in your web browser, no matter what happens to the real website. I'll bear that in mind...